In the discussion regarding the Afghanistan war, my brother agreed with me that its necessary for the war to end. He stated that the war should end since it creates enemies for the nation and puts the life of Americans in danger. He believes that the war is a good yet bad thing to the country since it helps our nation be safe but as well hurts it. I argued that the war was just a money waist for our country, considering the economic crisis we are in. I as well stated that the war had no longer a reason to go on, as said in class we started the war fighting terrorism but slowly drifted from the main objective. We both believed that the amount of money spend on the war and on Afghanistan could be put to use in other places in our own country. For examples schools, instead of spending billions on war our nation should consider the effect that cutting school budgets have on students.
Although through out the conversation my brother stood in the same position as me, I was shocked to find out how little he knew in reality. He had one or two different opinions about certain things regarding the war, yet his arguments defending those opinions were weak. For instance, I stated that the war was helping a country lost politically and we had no reason to be there any longer and he argued that the Afghanistan government should order the capture of the so called “enemy” we were after, this showed me that he didn’t really know much about the reality regarding the governments power over in Afghanistan. This conversation gave me an opportunity to explore others opinions on the war and shockingly it also revealed how unpopular it has become over time.
Jennifer – Interesting point. Since we are there, this is what is creating more enemies. Never really thought of it like this, but if we weren’t there, would this create more danger for Americans and the rest of the world against terrorism? I think you have come to the realization that I wanted you to come to: Americans simply do not have all the facts and are sometimes naïve to the world around them. Overall, this is good work. Content 6; Organization 5; Total 33/36.
ReplyDelete